One of two elementary schools serving Auburn-Washburn's southeast attendance area, Pauline South Intermediate serves fourth through sixth graders.
In 2009, Pauline South was named a National Title I Distinguished School.
It is the mission of Pauline Schools to ensure all children achieve their highest level of performance as responsible, respectful citizens.
As a school community, we believe:
- All children should be treated with respect.
- All children are to receive constant, unconditional support.
- All decisions should be made with a "children first" attitude.
On May 31, 1887, the Pauline School District Number 72 was organized as a one teacher school. The school continued with one or two teachers until 1952, when eight teachers were hired. To accommodate the classes, rooms were used at Forbes Air Base in building number 102.
In 1955, the church at Pauline was converted into classrooms and two more teachers were employed. By 1956, there were 14 teachers, and the school was once again using building number 102 at Forbes Air Base.
The attendance area continued to grow over the years, and when the Capehart housing project was created, the Pauline School Board made application under Public Law 815 for a new school building. In the Fall of 1958, Pauline South School was opened to serve kindergarten through eighth grades.
In 1960, Pauline Central School was built to accommodate the growing population, but the original building was too small for the number of children. An addition to the school was completed in 1961-1962. The new addition contained ten classrooms, a library, a music room, administrative offices for the superintendent, and a gymnasium.
In 1962, the Pauline School District had three school buildings known as Pauline East, Pauline South, and Pauline Central. The district had a total faculty of 58 teachers who taught 1624 students.
In 1966, the Pauline Schools consolidated with the Washburn Rural, and Auburn school districts to form Auburn-Washburn USD 437.
Pauline South's role evolved throughout the years. What started as a K-8 school became a K-6 school. It changed again from K-6 to a 7-8 school. It changed, once more, from a 7-8 school to a 6-8 school. Finally, it became the 4-6 school that it is today.
In 2007, the Auburn-Washburn community voted to pass a bond issue that included a new elementary school, and several construction projects on existing schools. Pauline South was set to have four new classrooms built, and to have the entrance/office area remodeled.
In 2009, Pauline South was honored with the National Title One Distinguished Schools' Award.
In 2010, construction on new classrooms, remodeling of existing classrooms, and a new secure entrance was completed.
Today, Pauline South Intermediate is a fourth through sixth grade school, and is one of seven elementary schools in the Auburn-Washburn School District. The students from Pauline South begin their studies at Pauline Central Primary School for preschool through third grades.